Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pesarattu Dosa / Whole Moong Dal Dosa / Green Gram Dosa


Pesarattu - Green gram dosa

I used to have this pesarattu dosa  in our office canteen weekly once, just for the satisfaction that I have eaten something healthy :) . That was long back when I used to eat all three meals in the office and used to get bored to death of the same type of food everyday.  Those days, this dosa used to be a good healthy change from the same routine and it felt good.
   Its been so many years since I had this. Recently my mom gave me a biiiig bag full of green moong dal and thatta payar , grown in our own field. 

I was thinking of what can be done apart from the sprouts , dal etc etc that we normally do to finish off the moong dal and then I suddenly remembered this !Pesarattu Dosa ! I didn't even want to discuss with my husband as I am sure he would not like the idea of eating green gram dosa. So, I just took a little of the green gram that I had soaked for sprouts and made this dosa and it came out ok.  Just ok. Nothing great.

So, the next day I made this batter again and this time I mixed it with a little of the normal dosa batter and TADA! I got a great healthy and tasty dosa recipe :) . No one complained and everyone was happy to eat a green healthy and tasty dosa :)

I am giving the ingredients for the plain pesarattu dosa. You can mix two parts of this batter with one part of the ordinary dosa batter if you do not like the taste of this. It is definitely worth a try as it is very healthy. You can even do it with sprouts. You can also make potato masala and stuff it like masala dosa. 


Now to the recipe:
Ingredients:
Whole Green gram (soaked overnight) - 2 cups
coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
ginger - 1 inch piece
salt - to taste
Green chillies - 2 (adjust as per taste)
Rice flour - 2 tablespoons ( or soak 1/4 cup of raw rice along with moong dal)
Big onion - 1 (chopped into very small pieces for garnishing) (optional)

Note: Soaking the rice along with moong dal tastes better in case you do not want to mix with leftover dosa batter.


Preparation:
Grind together the soaked moong dal and rice along with coriander leaves , ginger , green chili and salt with little water.
Do not make it too watery. Keep the batter in the same consistency as idli batter. 
If using rice flour, add it at this stage. Adjust the thickness after adding rice flour.
If mixing with leftover dosa batter, do so.
Note: Do not add rice flour if mixing with the regular dosa batter.
Heat a tawa and spread the batter into a thin dosa.


Drizzle with oil and top it with cut onions if preferred.
Cook it as you do with a normal dosa. 
Remove from tawa and serve it with coconut chutney and sambhar.


No comments:

Post a Comment